Are you a homeowner looking for a durable, stylish roofing option to withstand harsh Texas weather? Then consider metal roofing! Not only is metal roofing long-lasting and low-maintenance, but it also comes in various styles and materials to fit your home’s aesthetic. To help you make an informed decision, here is a comprehensive guide to metal roofing.
2 Types of Metal Roofing Fasteners
When installing metal roofing, the type of fastener used is crucial in the roof’s lifespan and resistance to leaks. There are two main types of metal roofing fasteners: screws and nails.
- Screws: Screws are the most common type of fastener used for metal roofing because they provide a secure hold and can better withstand the expansion and contraction of metal. They also come in a variety of lengths and colors to match your roof panels.
- Nails: Nails are a more affordable and quicker option for fastening metal roofing, but they are not as durable as screws. If you’re choosing nails, ensure they are corrosion-resistant and properly-sized for your roof panels.
3 Types of Metal Roofing Styles
Metal roofing comes in three main styles: standing seam, corrugated, and metal shingle.
- Standing Seam: Standing seam roofing has vertical panels with raised seams that interlock with each other, creating a sleek, modern look. It’s also the most durable and weather-resistant option.
- Corrugated: Corrugated metal roofing has panels with alternating ridges and grooves that create a wave-like pattern. It’s a more affordable option and gives a rustic, industrial look.
- Metal Shingle: Metal shingle roofing mimics the appearance of traditional roofing materials like slate or wood but with added durability and low-maintenance of metal. It’s more expensive than the other two options, but it has a longer lifespan and better energy efficiency.
4 Types of Metal Roofing Materials
Another important factor to consider when choosing metal roofing is the type of material used. Here are four of the most popular metal roofing materials:
- Steel: Steel is the most commonly used metal for roofing due to its affordability and durability. It can be coated with different finishes to prevent rust and give it a more personalized look.
- Aluminum: Aluminum is lightweight, corrosion-resistant, and recyclable, making it a sustainable option for homeowners. It’s also more expensive than steel.
- Copper: Copper is a premium metal option for roofing due to its distinctive look and long lifespan. It’s also corrosion-resistant and requires very little maintenance, but it’s also the most expensive option.
- Zinc: Zinc is a lesser-known metal for roofing, but it’s gaining popularity due to its unique blue-gray patina that develops over time. It’s also highly corrosion-resistant and energy-efficient, but it’s also one of the most expensive options.
Contact Roof Care in Longview, Texas, and Ask About Metal Roofing for Your Home
Metal roofing is an excellent investment for homeowners looking for a durable, low-maintenance roofing option that can withstand the elements. With the understanding of the different types of fasteners, styles, and materials available, you can choose the best metal roofing for your home.
If you’re in the Longview, TX, area and need expert metal roofing installation or repair, look no further than Roof Care Inc. Our family-owned and operated business has over 30 years of experience in the roofing industry and has completed over 1,230 projects in our community. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and get started on your metal roofing project!